Map of Brazil divided into fourteen hereditary captaincies from 1657
This is a scaled-down version of Sanson's important map showing Portuguese possessions in Brazil.
The coastal regions were divided by the Portuguese Crown into fourteen Capitaineries, or hereditary port offices.
The holders of these grants, called donataries, were responsible for their defense and development. There are a number of rivers that appear inland.
The mythical Lago de los Xarayes appears on the left, and the unknown interior is conveniently covered by the garland-style title cartouche.
Sanson's Small Maps of his America on Various Maps..., first published in 1656 and engraved by A. Peyrounin, have been copied many times by various map publishers. Johann David Zunners made copies of Sanson's maps for his German translation of Die Gantze Erd-Kugel in 1679. Johannes Ribbius and Simon de Vries published copies in 1682 and 1683, with new maps engraved by Antoine d'Winter.
The plates were later sold to François Halma who used them in 1699 and again in 1705 with the titles engraved again in Dutch.
The titles on the d'Winter plates were engraved again in French and later used by Nicholas Chemereau in 1715 and by Henri du Sauzet in 1738. “Le Bresil, dont la Coste est Possedee par les Portugais, et Divisee en Quatorze Capitaineries…” , Sanson, Nicolas
Map with Brazil divided into fourteen hereditary captaincies from 1657 – Historical Map of Brazil