Map of the East Coast of Brazil from 1647
This beautiful map of the Brazilian coast is adorned with a huge wreath at the top with lots of native fruits and a jaguar, tapir and capybara. With north oriented to the right, the map covers the coastal region from the São Francisco south to the mouth of the Vaza-Barris River.
The map plots inland rivers with place names and topographical details along their banks.
There is a naval skirmish, three Dutch ships and a canoe on the Atlantic coast.
It was designed after real research by Georg Marcgraf, Elias Herckmanns and others and was among the first maps of Brazil based on non-Portuguese data.
Blaeu first issued this and its accompanying maps in 1647 to Gaspar Barleus' Rerum per octennium in Brasília.
They were also brought together in a large wall map, Brasilia qua parte paret Belgis.
Maps then appeared in the Atlas Maior from 1662 onwards. “Praefectura de Ciriii, vel Seregirppe Delrey cum Itapuama”, Blaeu, Johannes
Map of the East Coast of Brazil from 1647 – Historical Maps of Brazil