Laranjeiras, a 23 quilometros de Aracaju, foi fundada em 1594. In 1701, the Jesuits built the chapel of Santo Antonio and the first residence of the order, known as Retiro, on the site where the city was born. Listed by IPHAN, the complex is located about 1 km from the […]
Laranjeiras in Sergipe has been listed by the historical heritage and has museums and churches, such as the church of Nossa Senhora da Conceiҫão which is one of the monuments of greatest cultural value in Sergipe.
Laranjeiras is a city listed by the National Institute of Historical and Artistic Heritage – IPHAN, since 1996. In the municipality, visitors can visit houses, secular churches, folkloric manifestations of various, a rich handicraft and many other beauties. It is worth checking out.
Main Tourist Points
Matriz Sagrado Coração de Jesus Church
located in Praça da Matriz, where the current urban centre of the city originated. Built in the second half of the 18th century, it was the first church dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus in Brazil. In Sergipe, it was the seat of the aristocratic Brotherhood of the Holy Sacrament.
The panel on the ceiling of the Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament, depicting the Heart of Jesus, is attributed to the Bahian painter José Teófilo de Jesus.
Although the church has undergone several renovations that have contributed to some de-characterisation, it retains its original features. Building listed by IPHAN. Location: Centre
Our Lady of the Conception of Comandaroba Church
In 1731, on the banks of the Cotinguiba River, the Jesuits inaugurated their second residence in Laranjeiras; a simpler construction than the first. The temple has the same characteristics as other Jesuit buildings in the Northeast. Its limestone portico and crossing arch bear monograms confirming its origins and those of its patron saint, the Virgin of the Conception.
Probably one of the last buildings of the priests of the Society of Jesus in Sergipe, who were expelled from the colony in 1759 and had their property confiscated by the Portuguese government.
Location: Rural area, approximately 1 km from the city centre.
Casa do Engenho Retiro and Chapel of Santo Antônio
The Jesuits began on the banks of the São Pedro River, at the end of the 17th century, the construction of the first residence in Laranjeiras. Inaugurated in 1701, it was called Retiro, probably this name originated in occurrence of the solitude of the place.
Attached to the old residence is the Church of Santo Antônio and Nossa Senhora das Neves, remodelled in the first half of the 19th century. The building is listed by IPHAN. Location: Rural area, approximately 01 km from the city centre.
Chapel of Engenho Jesus, Maria e José
Built in 1769, the chapel is in ruins. The altar, a historic property listed by IPHAN, was removed and is now in the Church of Senhor do Bonfim.Location: Rural area, located on private property with difficult access.
Nossa Senhora do Rosário e São Benedito Church: built by blacks in the mid-19th century, the church was the site of traditional celebrations such as the Festa de Reis and Rainha da Taieira, the latter a praise directed to São Benedito and Rosário, protectors of slaves.
The rites of Cacumbi, Taieira, Chegança and São Gonçalo are still held in the church today, making it the stage for the biggest folklore festivals in Larajeir. Location: Centre
Gruta da Pedra Furada
Limestone formation that served as a refuge for the natives of the region, is located in the middle of the forest.
The Jesuits held masses there during the Dutch invasion. Listed by the Government of the State of Sergipe. Location: Povoado Machado
Terreiro Filhos de Obá
Nagô terreiro listed by the state government.
Church of Our Lord of Bonfim
built in the 19th century, the church houses the cemetery of the Brotherhood of Bonfim in the back. Its wooden altar was destroyed during a fire, and the altar of the Jesus, Mary, Joseph Church was put in its place.
From the top of the hill, where it is located, you have a complete view of the Cotinguiba Valley. Location: Centre
Gruta da Matriana
A place used as a refuge and for prayers by the Jesuit priests, preserves inside paintings made by the artist Horácio Hora. Location: Vila do Faleiro, difficult to access
19th century building with Gothic features. It received goods coming through the Cotinguiba River. It still operates on Saturdays for the local market. Location: Centre
19th century building, where the sugar production of the mills was stored. Slaves were also disembarked and housed there while waiting for their masters. Currently, the Campus of the Federal University of Sergipe is located there.
Bom Jesus dos Navegantes Church
the church, built at the beginning of the 20th century, is the site of the annual procession of Bom Jesus dos Navegantes, a traditional religious festival of the city. Location: Alto do Bom Jesus, s/n (city entrance)
Our Lady of the Conception of the Browns Church
Built in the 19th century by brown men, the church became a centre of devotion to Our Lady of the Conception.
Emperor Dom Pedro II, when visiting it, made donations to complete the works. Location: Centre
Built in the old gunpowder deposit of Sítio Sant’Aninha, it was one of the richest private chapels in the Northeast. Location: Solar Sant’Aninha, s/n – Rural area (on private property).
Located on Rua Tobias Barreto (centre), was inaugurated on 19 November 1899 after a series of incidents between Catholics and Protestants that began in 1844 and worsened when the American pastor Alexander Latiner Blackford, after visits to Laranjeiras, founded in 1884 the first Presbyterian Church in Sergipe, on Rua Comandaroba in Laranjeiras. Until today the church maintains all its activities. Location: Centre
Museum of Sacred Art
Founded in 1980 to preserve the great sacred collection of the municipality. It is the second most important in the state. Location: Centre
Afro-Brazilian Museum of Sergipe
Exhibition of pieces linked to Afro-Brazilian culture and its influence on the religious syncretism of our people. Here are catalogued objects of religious cults, photographs, screens and documents. Location: Centre
Casa de Cultura João Ribeiro
Birthplace of the first immortal writer from Sergipe of the Brazilian Academy of Letters. The João Ribeiro Museum currently houses items belonging to the illustrious writer, philologist and folklorist.
Today, with 16 caves, Laranjeiras is considered the lowland city with the largest number of caves in Brazil.
The first stage of the project has already been carried out and will now be developed with the search for partnerships between the municipal and federal governments.
Five caves are available for visitation. In this project, people from the community were prepared to work on these visitation routes.